Brought you by 916 Ink and RedRover
Animals lovers, that’s who!
Feline friends and dog devoted youth writers, use your paws or your pointers to enter our contest below and win some purrrfect prizes. All you need is animal appreciation and a pet-tastic submission to be eligible. Just dig or peck out the details below. Sniff a little, eat some kibble (but not really), and write.
Pet’s Point of View
Write a story about a normal day from a pet’s perspective. What is their daily routine? Where do they live? What do they think and feel? How do they look and feel about you? What is your relationship like from their point of view? Really think about your pet’s point of view and journey through life, maybe even before he came into yours. What were their experiences before they met and how did that affect the way they interacted with you, at first? And how have they changed since you two came together?
Man’s Best Friend
They say that dog is man’s best friend. So, what do you do with your best friend? Play video games, play during recess, share lunch together, have sleepovers. Write about a day with your other best friend—your pet. What would a friendship between an animal and human look like? How might it be the same or different than with your human best friend?
“Pick me! Pick me!”
Write from the point of view of an animal that is in an animal shelter. How might they be feeling? What sorts of things might make them happy or sad throughout the day? What kinds of needs do they have? What kind of relationship do they have with the volunteers that take care of them? Think about the thoughts they might have as people come to view them and the other animals at the shelter. Then imagine life after the shelter: what kind of relationships might come from this? How has their life changed?
First, second and third place winners will be chosen from each age group.
Prize is Pet Ambassador with the Sacramento SPCA! The three top winners will get to choose one special animal who will have their adoption fees waived! These 1st prize winners will also have their story or illustration hung up in the lobby at the SSPCA for all to see while adopting other animals. All three 1st prize winners will receive one free week of SSPCA’s Summer Camp!
Essay Contest Rules
The Tales for Tails #PawsForward Writing Contest is open to children between 8 and 12 years of age who reside in the greater Sacramento, California area.
Age groups will be separated and judged together as follows:
- 8-9 year olds
- 10-11 year olds
- 12 year olds
Entries must be received by 3 p.m. on Friday, September 29, 2017.
Winners will be notified by October 20 and invited to attend a special author’s award ceremony event on November 10, 2017.
How to Apply
Entries can be emailed, mailed or dropped off.
- Email entries with the subject line "#Pawsforward" to:
- Mail or drop off entries enclosed in an envelope addressed to:
916 Ink — #Pawsforward
3301 37th Avenue, Room 15
Sacramento, CA. 95824
Entries can be Illustration or Writing
- One writing OR illustration entry per prompt.
- Categories are separate and will be judged individually per age group
Writing entries must:
- Be titled
- Be 250 words or less
- Include one human AND one animal character
- Be neatly handwritten, OR
- Be typed in 12 point or larger font
Illustration entries must:
- Be titled
- Include caption referencing writing prompt AND the human-animal bond
- Be drawn on unruled, white paper (if possible)
- Be drawn in dark ink or pencil (one color is best)
Winning illustrations will appear as black and white renderings in the published books.
Enter as many as you want, however, entrants can only win once.
See “Official Rules and Regulations” for more contest details.
Official Rules and Regulations
The following constitutes the Official Rules and Regulations for Tales for Tails #Pawsforward Writing Contest put on by 916 Ink and RedRover, from here on known as the “Contest.”
These rules govern the operation of the contest beginning on April 1, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time and ending on September 29, 2017 at 3:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. To be eligible to win, you must first enter the Contest in exact accordance with these rules.
1. To enter, you will be required to provide your name, address and email address as well as the name, school address, and the email address of a parent or teacher. Email address and other entry information will never be rented, given or sold to any third party or entity.
2. All entries become the sole property of RedRover and 916 Ink.
3. The Contest is open in the greater Sacramento, California area to children ages 8-12 years old.
4. Employees of RedRover or 916 Ink, sponsors, and their immediate families may not enter and are not eligible to win.
5. Winners: A first, second and third place winner will be chosen from each age group (8-9 year olds; 10-11 year olds and 12 year olds).
- 1st prize is Pet Ambassador with the Sacramento SPCA! The three top winners will get to choose one special animal who will have their adoption fees waived! These 1st prize winners will also have their story or illustration hung up in the lobby at the SSPCA for all to see while adopting other animals. All three 1st prize winners will receive one free week of SSPCA’s Summer Camp!
- 2nd prize is a free field trip for 30 students to 916 Ink’s Imaginarium for a writing workshop! (Transportation is not included.)
- 3rd prize is a $30 Jamba Juice or Barnes and Nobles gift card!
- 30 young authors will be selected and published in an exclusive Tales for Tails book. All published young authors will receive one copy of the book in which their writing appears and receive a participation certificate.
6. Winners will be notified by email and invited to attend an author’s award celebration event on November 10, 2017.
The Tales for Tails #Pawsforward Writing Contest is open to children between 8 and 12 years of age who reside in the greater Sacramento, California area. Before entering the Contest, all entrants must first secure permission from their parents to enter.
Entries must be received by 3 p.m. on Friday, September 29, 2017. Winners will be notified by October 20 and invited to attend a special author’s award ceremony event on November 10, 2017.
Entries can be emailed, mailed in or dropped off. Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail or drop them off to 3301 37th Avenue, Room 15, Sacramento, CA. 95824. Please write: “Tales for Tails #Pawsforward writing contest submission” in the subject line if emailing or on the outer envelope if mailing or dropping off your submission.
Stories and illustrations will be judged separately. Only one entry per prompt — either a written entry or an illustrated entry. An entrant can only win once.
Stories submissions should be no more than 250 words, include a title and at least one human and one animal character. Stories should be neatly handwritten or typed in no less than 12 point font.
Illustrations must be titled and include a caption that has something to do with the writing prompts and the human-animal bond. Winning illustrations will appear as black and white renderings in the published books. Illustrators should keep this in mind when creating their drawing.
Limitations and Liability
7. By participating in this contest you hereby forever and unconditionally release and hold harmless RedRover and 916 Ink, their respective officers, directors, employees and representatives from any and all liability or claims for damages or potential damages caused by or allegedly caused by or related in any way whatsoever to the receipt of any prizes awarded.
8. You hereby specifically agree to forever release and hold harmless RedRover, their respective officers, directors, employees and representatives against any and all liability, claims, demands, damages and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising directly or indirectly out of the operation of any part of this Contest.