916 Ink Wordslinger/Workshop Facilitator
3301 37th Avenue Sacramento, CA. 95824
STATUS: Regular Part Time COMPENSATION: Starting wage is $15 per hour.
15-25 hours per week during the following programming periods:
Fall Sessions: September to November
Spring Session: February to May
Summer Programming: July to August
Schedule dependent on Workshop times and dates.
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
916 Ink is Sacramento’s arts-based literacy nonprofit that provides creative writing workshops for low-income and at-risk youth, ages 6-18, in order to transform them into confident writers and published authors. By creating published youth authors, we create lifelong readers and articulate communicators who know the power of their own story.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Wordslinger provides high-quality literary arts education through facilitating 916 Ink’s Take the Yes Creative Writing Workshop curriculum in classroom, afterschool and field trip settings for students 3-12 grade.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Arrive on time and prepared with all materials necessary to conduct workshop at site.
· Ensure that classroom set up is complete before students arrive.
· Direct and communicate with all volunteers on program needs and deadlines.
· Report any volunteer issues to Programming staff.
· Adhering to the workshop timelines and curricula so that all necessary activities take place in each workshop.
· Writing and sharing written works generated during workshops alongside students.
· Modeling workshop method and observance of workshop guidelines.
· Presenting reading samples, encouraging discussion and active listening to ensure workshop participants receive quality instruction.
· Providing appropriate feedback within workshop method, while facilitating student introduction to literary devices, vocabulary, writing genres, poetry forms and new reading material.
· Following 916 Ink’s classroom management guidelines in all student interactions.
· Interacting professionally with teachers, administrative staff, parents and Volunteers.
· Upon completion of program, Wordslingers are responsible to facilitate and emcee Book Release Parties.
Workshop Administrative Duties
· Track student attendance
· Manage student record collection (includes all enrollment and evaluation documents) and ensure Programming staff receive all paper records.
· Manage digital program manuscript and ensure all edits, revisions and corrections are made in document throughout program.
· Ensure students receive information about book release party dates and locations, and any upcoming writing opportunities.
· Meet all production deadlines set by Programming and Production Coordinator.
· Participate in monthly staff meetings.
· Attend required training and professional development sessions as needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
· Minimum of two years of work experience in a fast-paced organization.
· Excellent communication skills including phone, in person and electronically.
· Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to analyze data and solve problems
· A deep commitment to the mission, vision and values of 916 Ink
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to take direction and carry out assigned tasks.
· Ability to establish good working relationships with internal and external persons
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment with a diverse team.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional nights and weekends.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and automobile insurance
· Must be able to travel between sites and offsite events as needed.
· Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory criminal background check, conducted by 916 Ink
916 Ink does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, disability and/or religion. Reasonable accommodations may be provided upon request.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Nikki Cardoza
3301 37th Ave, Ste. 14
Sacramento, CA 95824