POSITION OVERVIEW: 916 Ink, a nonprofit organization, is looking for a dynamic, creative, and visionary Executive Director to lead the organization into its next chapter. The Executive Director will manage a high-functioning team of employees and volunteers passionately committed to serving Sacramento Region youth through creative writing and storytelling. Top candidates will be comfortable working in a highly visible role and have experience in organizational management and operations, fund development, program delivery, and communications. This position reports to 916 Ink’s Board of Directors.
Application Deadline: October 8, 2017
Start Date: January 2, 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA
Salary Range: $70,000-$80,000
Benefits: Comprehensive medical, 3 weeks of vacation, dedicated professional development budget
WHO WE ARE
Since 2011, 916 Ink (a nonprofit organization) has sought to transform Sacramento youth into confident writers and published authors who know the power of story. We have impacted more than 4,000 young authors and published more than 100 books.
916 Ink has experienced rapid growth since its inception, doubling in size nearly every year. Now, with a dedicated staff, a faithful corps of volunteers, an engaged board, a great location, and established funding and community relationships, we are ready and prepared to expand our impact on youth in the Sacramento Region.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Executive Director has overall responsibility for 916 Ink’s strategic direction and operations. The successful candidate will combine a proven track record in nonprofit leadership with an understanding of 916 Ink’s mission and program offerings to improve and expand the organization’s impact across the Sacramento Region.
The Executive Director provides the 916 Ink staff and volunteers with guidance, oversight, and direction for all aspects of 916 Ink operations. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to strategic and operational planning, fund development, program management, marketing and communications, and strategic partnership management.
The following provides a high-level overview of the Executive Director’s core responsibilities:
Strategic and Operational Planning
Work with the 916 Ink board to develop and implement a strategic plan for the organization and provide vision and direction to staff, leadership, and the entire organization.
- Report to the 916 Ink board of directors on programming, fund development, finances, events, publications, personnel, strategic planning, and other matters.
- Ensure prudent fiscal management of 916 Ink, including establishment of salaries, management of expenses, strategic financial planning, and preparation of monthly financial reports and annual budgets.
- Manage all legal and operational issues, including contracts, human resource matters, leases and building management, publication and other agreements, and oversight of retail operations.
- Successfully solicit financial gifts from individual donors, foundations, corporations, and other prospective donors; cultivate and steward donors; provide gratitude, timely information, and individualized attention to donors in our community of supporters.
- Partner with Development Director to create and implement a fund development strategy, including corporate and private philanthropy, individual donations, public funding, and special events.
- Oversee and manage efforts to identify, apply for, and successfully obtain public and private grant funding.
- Oversee staff in planning and implementing public events designed to support the overall mission, engage key constituents, and raise funds and other support.
- Ensure that 916 Ink achieves its mission.
- Partner with Program Director to oversee all programming, including afterschool workshops, in-school writing programs, and field trips to the Imaginarium.
- Connect relationally with volunteers and interns, assisting them as necessary and appropriate and expressing appreciation to them on behalf of the organization.
Marketing and Communications
- Articulate 916 Ink’s mission to funders, volunteers, the educational community, and the media.
- Guide all external relations and collaborations, including website, annual fundraising appeals, and public relations; serve as spokesperson for media appearances and other public speaking opportunities.
Strategic Partnership Management
- Develop and maintain relationships with education and community leaders that will facilitate programming growth.
WHO YOU ARE
To be successful in this job, you will have:
- An adaptive, creative spirit and a demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of 916 Ink.
- Experience in nonprofit executive leadership and a willingness and the skills to serve as the organization’s public face.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated skill working across disciplines—fund development, management, communications, operations, etc.—to advance a big-picture vision.
- Proven success in fund development from grassroots individual giving to large-scale institutional funding.
- Knowledge of and passion for the Greater Sacramento Region, including knowledge of the education environment and the philanthropy community.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience communicating with a variety of audiences.
- Experience working with and managing volunteers.
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a team, including a willingness to pitch in at all levels when necessary.
- Passion for creative writing.
HOW TO APPLY
For instructions on applying for this position, please call our hiring line at 916.572.1725.
916 Ink is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, age, religious creed, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law.